[Sca-cooks] Old Meat and spicing ....

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Mon May 7 16:04:19 PDT 2001

Jadwiga said:

> *blink* why would they require less spicing, when they have
> more flavor of their own? If
> you wanted to taste the spices as well as the flavor of the
> meat, wouldn't you have to
> use more spices when combining them with something with more
> flavor of its own?
>
> I thought the general concensus was that meat from older
> animals had a stronger flavor
> that even today most people are not as fond of, and that
> people in the middle ages used
> spices as much as they did because they _liked_ spicy dishes,
> in which case they would
> want to use enough spices so that they were no obscured.

I grew up in a farming community in country Australia.  I grew up on a diet
of mutton, goat, pig (pork, ham, bacon etc) and very little beef.  No
four-legged animal was slaughtered under 12 months of age.  I did not find
the taste of these meats "gamey" or "unpleasant" it was the simply the way
the meats tasted.  The spice mixtures we used complemented those flavours.

When I moved to the city and had to actually buy lamb from a supermarket, I
found it completely tasteless!  I had to change the spice mixtures I used.
Not lessen or increase the quantities of spices, but to actually change
which spices I was using until I found a set that complemented the taste of
lamb (as opposed to the mutton I grew up with).  The flavours of mutton and
lamb are actually different.  Mutton in not simply stronger lamb.

I do not find the taste of older meats unpleasant at all and am constantly
amazed at people who like their meat tasteless - but then that depends on
what you've grown up with, doesn't it?

Meliora.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.  It may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient do
not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy or take any action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this message.  Before opening any
attachments, check them for viruses or defects.