[Sca-cooks] A big favour to ask.

Black Jade black_jade at bigpond.com
Tue May 8 16:37:38 PDT 2001

Greetings Good Gentles all.

My Pelican just set me a task and it's a tall order within the time frame
he's set (a couple of months)  So I'm asking the gentles of this list to
help if they can.
I'll let him explain it in his own words:

A friend of mine (non-SCA) is completing the editing of a previously
unpublished account of the reign of Henry VII by one of his secretaries. As
a part of this there is a feast menu from 1487 celebrating his coronation.
She wonders if it would be possible to find the recipes (possibly both
unredacted and redacted - but the first has priority).
BTW, when this is published it will contain absolute details on ceremonial,
seating arrangements, dress etc etc. Start drooling now. While this is her
Master's thesis, she has a publisher after her already.
Hrolf
This is the menu:
Furst a warner byfor the course.
Conys of high grece
Sheldes of brawne in armour.
Moten roiall richely garnysshed
Frumetye with veneson.
Valance bake
Bruet riche.
Custarde royall
Hart powderd graunt chare
Tarte poleyn
Fesaunt in trainde royall
Leyse damask
Swan with chawdron
Frutt synaper
Capons of high grece
Frutt formage
Lamperrey in galantyne
A soteltie, with writing of balades whiche as yet I have not.
Crane with cretney
Pik in latymer sawce
Herounsew with his signe
Carpe in fowle
Kid reversed
Perche in jeloy deperte.
A warner byfor the course.
Bittowre
Joly ipocras.
Fesawnte
Mamene with lozenges of golde.
Browes
Pekok in hakell.
Egretes in beowetyer
Cokkes
Venesone in past royall.
Partricche.
Quince baked
Sturgyn fresshe fenell.
Marche payne royall
Plovers.
A colde bake mete florisshede
Rabett sowker.
Lethe ciprus
Seyle in fenyn enterly served richely armes.
Lethe ruby
Red Shankkes.
Fruter augeo
Snytes.
Fruter mounteyne
Quayles.
Castelles of jely in temple wise made
Larkes ingraylede.
Creves de endence.
A soteltie

So as you can see this is a large list and I am but one with my only real
access to period sources is on the internet.  Please can anyone with the
inclination or time, have a gander around in their texts  for any of these
recipes and if you find them, send me the original.  Redactions are not
required, but would be taken as a kindness.
Thank you for any help you might be able to give a struggling cook.
-Katerine