[Sca-cooks] Planting Period Spices from Seed

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 11:29:58 PDT 2001

In an earlier missive, I had suggested, from a comment
by Lord Ras regarding the planting of 'store bought'
spices, that perhaps it would be possible to propogate
cubebs and long pepper through the seed pods sold by
Spice Merchants.

I'm now curious to know if this is possible, and at
the crux of this question is finding out whether or
not these spices (cubebs, long pepper, grains of
paradise, galingale, etc) have been treated with any
kind of germination-prohibiting chemicals, to prevent
unauthorized propogation.  I know this is done in our
age with a wide variety of crops intended for export,
potatoes in particular.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding this kind of
treatment by their Spice Merchants?  It seems that, if
the spice pods are viable, and untreated, then they
should come true from a planting of the seeds.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Words are Trains for moving past what really has no name...