[Sca-cooks] No sugar - too much spice.

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu May 10 15:50:55 PDT 2001

> Were _all_ medieval spices packed only in boxes and bags?  Did they
> ship nothing in sealed containers, or otherwise protected?

By sealed containers, I think we are speaking of glass or pottery jars,
with lids or stoppers held on with wax. As far as I have been told,
such containers were used almost exclusively for liquids, such as precious
oils, ointments and cosmetics... Medicaments were stored in ceramic jars
with tight-fitting lids in the apothecaries' shops, but I have never heard
of any transport for what we think of as spices except in boxes and bales.
Ginger-jars might be the exception but I think they are post period.

If I remember, tonight or on the weekend I will make up a list of the
books I've consulted on the subject, and you can check to see if you know
of others.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net