[Sca-cooks] Inchworms and tobacco.

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Thu May 10 12:01:21 PDT 2001

> Disclaimer: I haven't personally tried this, but gramma said it works.  Pick
> some of the inchworms off.  Whir them in the blender with some water until well,
> um, blended.  Spray on plants. 'Course she also advocated smoking a cigar and
> blowing the smoke on various insects, too.
>
> Liadan

	So help me, the cigar smoke thing may be for real -- one
of my Botany professors, way back, told me about a natural pest-
control method using tobacco.  You take some cigarettes, moosh
them up, and soak them in water for a while, then strain the
resulting tobacco "tea" and spray it on your plants.  The
nicotine is supposed to kill the insects.
	I'm afraid I have no idea what proportions to use,
how long the stuff should soak, etc., but I always thought it
was an interesting idea.  I've lived in an apartment for the
last several years, so no garden of my own to try it in (sigh!),
but it's *supposed* to work.
	A few drops of detergent in the "tea" would also probably
be a good idea, to break surface tension and such.  If anyone
ever tries this, I'd love to know if it works.

		-- Ruth