[Sca-cooks] Inchworms and tobacco.

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Thu May 10 12:34:39 PDT 2001

	So help me, the cigar smoke thing may be for real -- one
of my Botany professors, way back, told me about a natural pest-
control method using tobacco.  You take some cigarettes, moosh
them up, and soak them in water for a while, then strain the
resulting tobacco "tea" and spray it on your plants.  The
nicotine is supposed to kill the insects.
	I'm afraid I have no idea what proportions to use,
how long the stuff should soak, etc., but I always thought it
was an interesting idea.  I've lived in an apartment for the
last several years, so no garden of my own to try it in (sigh!),
but it's *supposed* to work.
	A few drops of detergent in the "tea" would also probably
be a good idea, to break surface tension and such.  If anyone
ever tries this, I'd love to know if it works.

		-- Ruth

Just a word of caution if you are going to try this. The resulting "tea" is
highly poisonous to humans as well as bugs. Don't use this on edibles
including flowers that you plan to add to salads. Also it is best to wash
well after using, wear protective gloves, and don't spray into the wind. If
you have small children DO NO USE. This stuff can kill with in minuets.
Margarite