[Sca-cooks] Determining your soil quality

justin pfeil johhnytrash at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 14:29:00 PDT 2001

>.  Bulbs were
>available, and fairly soil-independent (meaning not
>too particular about acidity/drainage, etc...)

I am wanting to start an herb garden in my new backyard. There were 2 foot
tall weeds, a path driven in by a neighbor's dog, debris is everywhere, and
lots of crabgrass. So it needs to be completely 'overhauled'.  I figured why
cover it with grass when I've allways wanted a herb garden ? But I'm stopped
with the first thought...

How do I determine the soil quality ? And how do I make it good enough to
eat what grows out of it ?  The gigantic weeds seem to dig the soil though.
Any good sources to read on-line ?

-Justin