[Sca-cooks] Nicotine in the Garden (OT and OOP)

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon May 21 07:48:17 PDT 2001

> organic produce. However, my mother (extension agent) says that there are
> other such "natural" pesticides that are still being used by organic produce
> farmers and not listed because they are natural and organic.

The 'natural and organic' pesticide that your mother is probably referring to is
pyrethrum. Some organic folks use it, others don't. It's got a fairly quick fade time and
hasn't been found to be an environmental contaminant.

There are other things people use to control pests, like BT and nematodes, but they are
not considered pesticides because of the way they work.

I'd like to see her list of the 'natural and organic pesticides' that the farmers are not
declaring so that people can research them for themselves instead of taking her word that
they are the same as pesticides.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net