[Sca-cooks] insect repellants

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 10 19:41:59 PDT 2001

Kiri commented:
> MtLion wrote:
> > Borage is a skeeter repellent.

> I know I'm chiming in rather late here...I'm not an herb expert, but was
> told several years ago by one who does know herbs rather well that
> pennyroyal, which grows very easily, also is a good mosquito repellant,
> as is eucalyptus (not easily grown, but easily found wherever dried
> flowers are sold).  We usually hang a bunch of one or the other (or
> both) in our pavillion at Pennsic...and it seems to work pretty well!

Some other insect repellants can be found in this file in the SCA-CAMPING
section of the Florilegium:
insect-prtctn-msg  (9K)  1/31/01    Insect repellants and protection.

I'm not sure that any of these will be of use in protecting a garden,
but perhaps some of you might find them useful at SCA events.

This file on a similar hazard may also be of interest:
ticks-art          (9K)  1/24/92    Article on tick prevention.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net