[Sca-cooks] storing cheese in oil

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 10 19:57:55 PDT 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor replied to me with:
> --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> > Huh? Why can you keep cheese in olive oil
> > indefinitely, but not garlic?
>
> First of all... you can't keep cheese in olive oil
> indefinitely.  You can keep it for awhile, under
> refrigeration.  The only food product which will not
> spoil is honey.

Hmmm. I can buy feta cheese in olive oil, several varieties, in my
local grocery store. And they store it unrefrigerated. I guess I will
have to look the next time I'm there and see if the jar says something
like "store refrigerated after opening". I thought I'd seen cheese in
jars of oil on store counters, too.

I thought I had more info on storing cheese in oil in the Florilegium, but
this is all I could find:

> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 08:27:31 -0400
> From: Phil & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Trying new stuff

<snip>

> Adamantius, whose preference is for goat's milk cheese preserved in olive oil

Okay Adamantius, will you comment here?

My main problem when I tried this was that I must have picked the wrong
type of cheese, as even though I had cut it into cubes, it gradually
oozed into one big blob. The stuff in the store is still in distinct
cubes. Perhaps this only works with goat's milk cheese for some reason?

Honey will spoil if you dilute it enough. You have to dilute it to get
it to ferment, for instance.

And I've got first hand stories of Sekanjabin syrup lasting several (five?)
years on the shelf without refrigeration.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net