[Sca-cooks] Ancient cookery - smudged word

nexus at panix.com nexus at panix.com
Fri May 11 07:50:15 PDT 2001

Greetings all,

my copy of Ancient Cookery, Arundel MS 344 has an illegible word
in a recipe I am interested in.  The recipe is 404, on pg 461
(pg 41 if you're using the same version of Cariadoc's books as I am.)

The recipe is Chekennes in Sauce, and the word I can't read in my copy
is on the second line:

"For x <something> take zolkes".

So there is a ration of X(10) somethings to x1 (11) egg yolks.  Knowing
what the something is is rather important.

Does anyone out there have access to this document in a form
where that word is readable?  If so, could they let me know
what it is?

Thank you,

Jeff Berry 				nexus at panix.com   ,
Alexandre Lerot d'Avigne		Whyt Whey, East  (  >|
		http://www.panix.com/~nexus               ) /|
"You're a notch and I'm a legend"-------Alice Cooper
"I don't need TV when I've got T-Rex"------Mott the Hoople