[Sca-cooks] Ancient cookery - smudged word

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 11 08:18:45 PDT 2001

nexus at panix.com wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> my copy of Ancient Cookery, Arundel MS 344 has an illegible word
> in a recipe I am interested in.  The recipe is 404, on pg 461
> (pg 41 if you're using the same version of Cariadoc's books as I am.)
>
> The recipe is Chekennes in Sauce, and the word I can't read in my copy
> is on the second line:
>
> "For x <something> take zolkes".
>
> So there is a ration of X(10) somethings to x1 (11) egg yolks.  Knowing
> what the something is is rather important.
>
> Does anyone out there have access to this document in a form
> where that word is readable?  If so, could they let me know
> what it is?

I could be wrong; I'm looking at the same page you are, and can't seem
to find it in the pages from it that have been set up on the SCA's A&S
pages by Cindy Renfrow; how-_ever_, it _looks_ to me like X mess, as in,
to make ten servings, or, if a mess is a "cover" for two, then 20 servngs.

See the recipe to the immediate left of the recipe you're referencing,
"Chikyns in Kirtyne for X Mess". Which, BTW, I don't think is a
reference to a Christian holiday...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy