[Sca-cooks] Mustard question

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 22:29:19 PDT 2001

I'm preparing some mustard and noticed a small discrepancy in recipes.
My edition of The Goodman of Paris (Powers, 1928) lists on page 286:

Mustard.  If you would make provision of mustard to keep for a long
time, make it in the harvest season and of soft pods.  And some say
that the pods should be boiled…

The recipe as posted by several list members reads:

Mustard. If you wish to provide for keeping mustard a long time do it
at wine-harvest in sweet must. And some say that the must should be
boiled…

Must at harvest time makes sense to me, but I don't want to contradict
a source without further evidence.  Anyone out there with a copy of the
recipe in the original French?  Other translations? Educated opinions?

Tara