[Sca-cooks] 1637 Hosokawa Sansai Kaiseki Meal

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Wed May 16 10:50:30 PDT 2001

Cort, Louise Allison. (1990). Japanese ceramics and cuisine.
_Asian Art_, 3 (1), 9-35.

KAISEKI MEAL

Served by the warrior Hosokawa Sansai
at his Kyoto residence in 1637,
5th month, 19th day, morning, for five guests

-- FIRST TRAY --

Seafood marinated in vinegar (namasu)
Soup
containing white radish,
tofu (bean curd), shitake mushrooms, and burdock root
Rice

-- SECOND TRAY --

Eggplant salad (aemono), in a deep dish
White tofu with thickened clear sauce
Grated mountain potato*

-- "PASSED AROUND" DISH --

Pickles
Grilled trout, without sauce
Pomfret, grilled, with thickened clear sauce

-- IN A LACQUER BOWL WITH FINE HORIZONTAL GROOVES --

Melon cucumber
Dried sea slug
Wheat-gluten cakes
Sweetfish sushi
Burdock fixed in two ways
Laver
Salted trout entrails

-- SWEETS --

Funoyaki (miso-filled crepes)
Fusashi (meaning not know)

* NOTE: Before someone gets all happy about potatoes in near-period
Japan I'd like to point out that we have no idea what the original
source document says and we're relying on Ms. Cort's translation,
presumably. It could feasibly be a potato like we're used to today
given the 1637 date alone, but we don't know for sure. -- Iasmin