[Sca-cooks] yams/sweet potatos

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed May 16 16:43:18 PDT 2001

ruadh commented:
> 1671-72 IIRC the white potato comes to "Nutfield" [Londonderry/Derry], NH,
> USA along with Scot/Irish flax weavers from that same region of Ireland. So
> during your 1600's era the white spud [Murphy] was on the move. What's the
> possible very early Mexico connection [or travel directions] for its Yams ?

You may need to be careful of the yams vs. sweet potato question. I'm
not sure which is grown in Mexico and whether it originated there or
not. I thought one, yams?, originated in Africa. Unfortunately in the
US, what is often labeled in the grocery as one, is in fact the other.

Some of the discussions on white potatos vs. sweet potatos vs.
yams that this list has had previously can be found in these files in
the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium:
potatoes-msg      (80K) 10/13/00    Period white and sweet potato use.
Recipes.
root-veg-msg      (74K) 10/13/00    Medieval and period root vegetables.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net