[Sca-cooks] peanut butter

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed May 16 22:38:30 PDT 2001

Devra Langsam commented:
> ACtually, a lot of dogs like peanut butter (their natural prey....)  It's a
> good way to sneak medicine into them; make a little ball of peanut goop, bury
> the pill in the middle, then "Here, Heidi, a nice treat!"  Sure beats
> wrestling them to the floor.  Too bad cats don't like peanut butter.  Still,
> there's the ol' mash-it-up-and-mix-with-baby-food trick....
> Devra, the owner of a hyperthyroid cat who gets a daily pill in a LOT of
> babyfood

Thanks for the wonderful idea. Giving our cats pills has really been a
problem. Either they make extensive use of their claws or at least try
to, or they start hiding so it is real difficult to find them. And if
they don't want to be found, there are lots of places around here that
they can hide in.

However, upon reading your message, I remembered a goop that comes in
a tube that is meant as a hairball treatment. We would squeeze a little
onto a front paw, they would shake it a few times, and then settle down
to licking it off, licking their lips during and after this. While we
couldn't put the pill in the goop and put it on their paw, as they'd
probably just lick the goop off and leave the pill, putting the blob
of goop, encasing the pill, in their mouth might work.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net