[Sca-cooks] wafer iron source

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 17 23:29:40 PDT 2001

In reviewing some old digests I saw another mention of Lehmans which has
been mentioned for useful kitchen items. This time I finally went there.
( http://www.lehmans.com/ )

We've talked about using Pizzelle irons before to make the medieval
savory and sweet wafers. I ended up buying an electric iron from a
different source but looked at their units that you put over a stove
top or campfire but since they were only $10 cheaper, I went with the
electic unit. I think Lehmans' price may be about $20 under what I paid
for the electric one. Unfortunately, since Lehmans doesn't show a picture
of this particular item, I don't know what it looks like, the design
it makes on the wafers or whether it cooks two or a single wafer at
once.

> Stovetop Pizzelle Iron
> Make crisp, wafer-light, Pizzelle Italian cookies on your stovetop! Works like
> our waffle iron - open the hinged handle, fill the decorative cast aluminum disc
> with batter, close and place on stove burner. The 5” discs compress cookie
> evenly and the long handle keeps your hands away from the heat. Wrap warm
> cookies around included wooden cone to form cone shapes for filling with
> whipped cream, strawberries, jam, chocolate, etc. Free recipe. 16”L, 2 1/2 lb,
> made in Italy #56771 $ 29.95

For those who might want to see some of what we discussed previously
on wafers and some period recipes and redactions, check this file in
the FOOD-BREAD section of my Florilegium:
wafers-msg        (72K)  3/30/01    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.

Stefan

PS: Balthazar, in the message I got the Lehman address from, it was
from last May, you mentioned "I just ordered their 2 1/2 pounder, and
the lever cheese press.  Next, I'm seriously thinking about the
portable oven....."

I think the first is in referance to a butter churn. How have these
worked out? Does the cheese press really work better than a couple
of bricks? I've not tried making cheese yet, but I may...
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net