[Sca-cooks] wafer iron source

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 07:54:04 PDT 2001

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> PS: Balthazar, in the message I got the Lehman
> address from, it was
> from last May, you mentioned "I just ordered their 2
> 1/2 pounder, and
> the lever cheese press.  Next, I'm seriously
> thinking about the
> portable oven....."
>
> I think the first is in referance to a butter churn.
> How have these
> worked out? Does the cheese press really work better
> than a couple
> of bricks? I've not tried making cheese yet, but I
> may...

Both of these items work great!  I had a bit of
trouble with the butter churn at first, but it was my
fault, not the churn.  I was trying to push the
"plunger" straight down into the churn, and cream was
splashing up over the top.  Turns out, you are
supposed to 'rock' it slightly, so it doesn't act like
a piston.  I've used this about 10 times since I
bought it (it took about 5 weeks to arrive).  I've
made salted and unsalted butter with it, and they are
both far superior to the stuff available in stores.
My only disappointment is that, after about two days,
the butter begins to weep.  I'll have to ask the folks
at Lehmann's if i'm not churning it long enough.

As for the cheese press... well, I moved into my house
shortly after it arrived, and have never taken it out
of the package.  Haven't had time, really.  Maybe I'll
pull it out this weekend, and see how it works.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

BTW:  I'll be bringing the butter churn to GWW, if
anyone wants to take a peek at it.  That is, if the
flies aren't too thick to risk making butter.

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.