[Sca-cooks] "sweetened earth bowl"

Solstice Studios solstice at moscow.com
Mon May 21 10:52:48 PDT 2001

<snip>
Any idea what a "pancheon of earth sweetened for the purpose" is?
<snip>

I talked this over with my archaelogist-potter-husband and he has an
idea.

Historically pottery was fired very low temperature, making it very
pourous.  Honey or pitch was often used to both seal the cups/bowls from
being pourous, as well as to slightly flavor the contents. Pitch was
strongly flavored and they would tend to prefer honey for food dishes.
Also, honey was anti-bacterial-- it would retard mildew and microbial
growth,. So it would not only seal the vessal, but help prevent mildew,
etc from forming in the clay from organic residue (like buttermil) that
would soak into it.

He thinks that it may be this custom that the book refered to.

We tried making low-temp historic vessels and decided to just modify it
to stoneware instead. Stoneware is fired at a much higher temperature.
The low temp firings made it very pourous and liable to breakage and
microbes both, and we didn't want to track honey-pots all over the place
in camping. In our arts competitions, its considered a reasonable modern
varient and most folks seem to prefer the stronger and impermiable style
of pottery as well, especially since it can still look just about the
same as the low fired.

<SNIP>
Somehow, I don't think my first idea of a hole in the ground sprinkled
with sugar, is the correct interpretation. :-)
<SNIP>

Tee hee! I can picture this one too!!! :)