[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Sweet Onions in Period]

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 29 08:46:45 PDT 2001

Regina Romsey asked that I forward this information about sweet onions
to you.

Kiri
From: "Wanda Pease" <wandapease at bigfoot.com>
To: "Kiri Elaine Koogler" <ekoogler at chesapeake.net>
Subject: Sweet Onions in Period
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:30:04 -0700

Kiri,  I'm back to not being able to post to cooks list.  I wish Gunthar had
not had to make it a closed list, but a few people ruin fun for a lot.

My brand new computer is running fine.  Unfortunately the LAN it is
connected to died just as it's master took off for London for two weeks to
install a video streaming network Intel developed for the BBC!  This means
that my address for Cook is once again wrong.

They have been talking about Sweet Onions on the list and progressing as
though Egyptian onions are the same as those we commonly get in the store.
I have reason to think this is not so.  When I was in Egypt the type I saw
were long and green and sort of a scallion with attitude.  They grew
profusely with a long top that was also edible.  At the very top were little
baby onions that could be used for flavoring too.  Here in the states I have
seen them called Egyptian Onions or "Walking Onions" since when the stalk
dries and falls over those little onions on the tip hit the ground and dig
in.

These same onions are found in a lot of Pharohonic deposits in Egypt as well
as modernly.  I won't swear to it but I think some were also found in some
of the Royal Tombs in the Valley, certainly they were found on the village
site for those workers who dug those tombs.

I have some that live at the houseline in my front flower bed.  Because they
are "protected" from the rain they seem to be very happy there in the summer
when we have no rain to be protected from.  Near dessert conditions.  These
may be the proto-onion that other onions have been bred from.

Wanda/Regina

Say hello to Alisoun MacCoul at Pennsic for me.  She doesn't answer her
silverdragon e-mail and I seen to have lost anything else I had for her.