[Sca-cooks] how old are kettles?

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Tue May 29 13:19:23 PDT 2001

Greetings unto the list from Madelina de Lyndesaye!

I have been trying to find any references to kettles in period, but when
doing searches on period utensils, I've come up with mostly information
about forks and cauldrons.

Has anyone seen any information about a kettle type pot?  I realize a tea
kettle would be out of the question, but I'm sure people heated water for
other reasons.  It seems to me that it would be a natural development to
have some sort of spout on a pot used for pouring hot liquids.

My persona is circa 1200's, lowland Scotland.

Many thanks,
Madelina
mka Jane Sitton-Logan