[Sca-cooks] how old are kettles?

Tue May 29 13:51:16 PDT 2001

The primary difference between a kettle and a cauldron is the kettle
commonly has a cover.  The common pouring method would likely be a ladle.
Although I don't think that's what you were looking for.

Bartolomeo Scappi's Opera (1570) provides a look at some of the common
utensils.  The woodcuts are webbed at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food-art/

The vessels with pouring spouts I have come across all appear to be
decorated serving vessels which would not have been put on the fire and I
don't remember any from within period.

There is a rectangular brazier with what appears to be a built in tank for
heating and dispensing (from a spigot, IIRC) water that was recovered from
Pompeii.  There is a picture of it in the catalog of a Pompeii museum
exhibit which toured the US about 20 years ago.  The exhibit catalog is
entitled, Pompeii -- 79 A.D., and is often available in libraries and used
book stores.  We have a couple copies in our library.

Bear