[Sca-cooks] Nola's "Libre del Coche" now available online.

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue May 29 14:04:36 PDT 2001

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain's wonderful translation of Nola's "Libre
del Coch" is now available in the new FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section of the
Florilegium:

Guisados1-art    (220K)  5/28/01    A translation of Ruperto de Nola's
                                       1529 "Libre del Coch", part 1 of
2
                                       by Lady Brighid ni Chiarain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html
Guisados2-art    (116K)  5/28/01    "Libre del Coch". part 2 of 2.
                                       Lenten recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.html

This is a very useful piece of research. Even though these are the
translations only and are not redacted, I think that even I will be able
to cook some of these. I recommend those that have been afraid of trying
such foods without a redaction to go by, to take a look through these
recipes and see if they can make some of them.

I also would also be interested in seeing folks' redactions of these
recipes and your comments on them. Lady Brighid has redacted some of
these and posted them to this list over time. You can find many of
these redactions in the fd-Spain-msg file.

The webbing of this document is still a little rough in places, but
both Lady Brighid and I felt it was more important to first get this
material out where it could be used. We will be working on improving
the presentation of this document and hopefully adding the original
Spanish version (as a seperate file) as time permits.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net