SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 13:00:27 PDT 2001

>Ilia wrote:
>  > > Does it work with not fat yogurt or does it need to be whole
>milk yogurt?>
>
>Basically, the fat changes the mouth feel and texture of the cheese.
>the biggest issue to be aware of is AVOID THICKENERS LIKE GUMS.  Get
>yogurt that doesn't have 'artificial' thickeners or emulsifiers
>added like guar gum, lecithin or starches, etc.  It changes
>everything, and gives the big gummy problem like you wouldn't
>believe.  Thickeners seem to be more common in the non-fat  versions
>around this neck of the woods.
>
>niccolo difrancesco

I have no idea if it's available east of the Sierra Nevadas, but i
highly recommend Pavel's Yogurt. No gums, no gelatin, just milk and
bacilli - comes in whole, low-fat, and non-fat. It has a really clean
taste and a wonderful mouth feel. I really really dislike yogurts
with gums and/or gelatin; they just don't feel or taste the same. I
used to make my own, now i'm lazy - Pavel's is better than my
homemade.

If i want fruit flavored yogurt, i get "Brown Cow", which made of
milk, cultures, and fruit and is sweetened only with a small amount
of maple syrup - no sugar, no corn syrup (and no honey, which flavor
tends to take over whatever it's used in) - and it isn't very sweet,
which i like. Better than putting jam into yogurt. This is a local,
Northern California brand - but i think i heard they're getting
distributed outside of this region...

Anahita