[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - seed and plant sources

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 08:31:47 PDT 2001

--- "Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com>
wrote:
> Balthazar of Blackmoor commented:
> > Also, I have never seen an actual sesame plant...
> care
> > to describe it?  And, possibly offer a source for
> the
> > seed?

> I can't answer the viability of seeds from the
> sources you mention,
> but folks have mentioned a number of sources for
> various period
> plants and seeds.

Thanks, Stefan.  I've marked that file for reference
when i buy more seeds this weekend.

> Is there anyone out there, who just has a small herb
> garden? If so,
> how much time does it take to keep it producing
> well?

A window box herb garden, or even a few potted herbs
in a windowsill is very easy to tend, and requires
little or no attention.  Aside from giving your herb
seeds the best chance for germination and healthy
growth by using rich soil, the only real tending your
herbs will need is an occasional watering, and
snipping them fairly often to encourage prolific
growth.  On herbacious, broadleafed herbs, you want to
pinch off the growing tips once they reach a desired
height, as this will promote side branching and new
shoot formations (Basil, sage, rosemary all benefit
from this, as well as others).

You can also extend the growing season of your herbs
by pinching off any blooms before they go to seed
(assuming you don't want the plant to self-sow).  Or,
let them seed, and you'll have more plants next year.

It's easy to grow herbs in a windowsill.  Have fun.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."