[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - bananas and bowels

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 3 21:39:27 PDT 2001

> Doctors prescribe "BRAT" Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Tea for those suffering from diarrhea and electrolyte imbalance..
>
> Andrea (retired nurse)

However Andrea, is the banana part of this mixture meant to affect
consistancy or just help restore the potassium level? Bananas are
often mentioned as a good source of potassium and I would imagine
diarrhea, like taking a diuretic, may well strip out potassium from
the body. Potassium is apparently quite necessary for things like
the heart.

Stefan, who has to take a lot of potassium (talk about large
capsules :-( )to make up for the diuretics he also needs to take.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net