[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - Creating a period garden

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 3 22:05:26 PDT 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor commented:
> After checking my garden this morning, I have noticed
> a few more bulbs beginning to form.  Patience, I
> suppose, is the order of the day...

So how can you tell if the bulbs are starting to form? I assume you
don't want to pull them out of the ground or probably not uncover
the bulbs. Can you tell by just clearing a little of the dirt from
around the stem below the ground, and not hurt the plant?

Thank you Balthazar and the others who sent me info on herb growing
by email. I think I will try this. At one time I had a bunch of
various house plants, but they gradually died off as I got active in the
SCA and got married. Now I may be willing to try again. We are going
to Fredricksburg, TX, near here in the Texas Hill Country, for our
anniversary this weekend. One of the places I've spotted in the
literature is an herb farm (http://www.fredericksburgherbfarm.com/ ).
They have seeds and they may have cuttings. We'll see.

I don't want to get overly ambitious here, so I want to limit myself
to say half a dozen herb pots. If you were going to grow just a few
herbs, which would you pick. Please take into consideration that this
is a new thing for me, so if there's a big differance the easier to
grow herbs should take priority.

I'm tired of buying the fresh herbs in the grocery in their expensive
little plastic boxes, an then using/needing only a small portion of the
package before they go bad.

I might also try some mint sometime. My mother had a patch that grew
around the faucet of the backyard hose. It leaked, so the mint got
plenty of water, yet it was surrounded on three sides by the concrete
patio and the fourth side by the house. So the mint didn't have a
chance to run rampant through the yard.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net