[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - turnips

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri May 4 06:07:47 PDT 2001

What I was taught to do, many years ago, by the good and wise Bishop Geoffrey d'Ayr, was
to slice the turnips (I think he referred to them as "heretical") thinly, then cook them
briefly in boiling water.  He emphasized, quite correctly, that you need to extract as
much water from them as possible, or the dish becomes watery. I usually cook them until
they barely fork tender.  I find that they finish cooking in the casserole.

Kiri