[Sca-cooks] Re: easy to grow herbs

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Fri May 4 10:48:48 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/4/2001 10:50:24 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tinyzoo at yahoo.com writes:

> Chives are an excellent starter herb.  If you simply trim the tops when you
> are cooking, instead of uprooting the whole plant, the bulbs will grow back
> like perennials every spring.  They also make cute little purple flowers
> when you let them grow without disturbing them.  Their attractive foliage
> and flowers make a nice addition to any garden bed.  Chives seem to grow in
> most range of sun - partial shade to full sun.  I even had some growing on
> the North side of my house once, in nearly full shade.

However, cut off the cute little purple flowers before they have a chance to
go to seed.  I missed doing this one time and it is now interspersed with the
grass in the side lawn.  Mowing that part of the lawn is NOT a pleasant
experience.

Constance