[Sca-cooks] Re: easy to grow herbs

Claire Galibois galibois at lycos.com
Fri May 4 16:45:12 PDT 2001

I might add a warning about the chives...I planted some in our flower garden a few years ago and since then the main form of control has been digging out a foot square (rectangular) section with a large, deep shovel every fall.  At least where we have them, they spread like grass - thick, tough clump with thick, balled roots.  Very pretty flowers. *s*  Very useful to have fresh.

BTW, does anyone know if dill is period?  Or where?  I know it goes back a long way in Polish cooking...

:)
Genevieve

---
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

>Message: 3
>Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 08:11:39 -0700
>To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>From: Ron and Laurene Wells <tinyzoo at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [Sca-cooks] Re: easy to grow herbs
>
>Chives are an excellent starter herb.  If you simply trim the tops when you
>are cooking, instead of uprooting the whole plant, the bulbs will grow back
>like perennials every spring.  They also make cute little pruple flowers
>when you let them grow without disturbing them.  Their attractive foliage
>and flowers make a nice addition to any garden bed.  Chives seem to grow in
>most range of sun - partial shade to full sun.  I even had some growing on
>the North side of my house once, in nearly full shade.

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!