[Sca-cooks] Coriander/Cilantro

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 12:53:18 PDT 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor wrote:
>I know we have period references and documentation for
>the use of coriander seed, but has anyone come across
>a reference for using the herbacious leaves?  They
>probably wouldn't be referenced as 'cilantro', and
>they may not be distinguished by another term at all,
>but it seems to me that if they had the seeds, then
>they HAD to have the leaves, as well.  I'm sure there
>has to be a reference to it (possibly middle-eastern),
>but I don't have one, and was simply curious.

Take a look through Lord Cariadoc's web site. There are Near Eastern
recipes that use coriander leaves.

Take a look in Lord Cariadoc's 2-volume set of period cookbooks.
There are Near Eastern recipes there that use coriander leaves.

Some recipes call for pulverizing the leaves to extract the juice and
using the juice in the recipe. Some use the leaves as a finishing
touch on a dish.

I LIKE the taste of coriander greens/cilantro.

Anahita