[Sca-cooks] Coriander/Cilantro

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 15:04:52 PDT 2001

On 5 May 01,, Chris Stanifer wrote:

> I know we have period references and documentation for
> the use of coriander seed, but has anyone come across
> a reference for using the herbacious leaves?  They
> probably wouldn't be referenced as 'cilantro', and
> they may not be distinguished by another term at all,
> but it seems to me that if they had the seeds, then
> they HAD to have the leaves, as well.

The Spanish sources call for "culantro verde" -- green coriander.
(The seed is refered to as "culantro seco" -- dry coriander.)  Nola
has 4 recipes that use green coriander.  Two of them are coriander
pottages, so it would be the dominant flavor in there.  It is one of
the herbs described by Herrera in his agricultural manual.  He talks
about when to sow coriander if you are growing it for the seeds,
and when to sow it if you are growing it primarily for the leaves.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net