[Sca-cooks] parsley and sugar

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 15:48:28 PDT 2001

--- Hrolf Douglasson <Hrolf at btinternet.com> wrote:
> --
> A question on Anglo saxon cookery....my area of
> knowledge.
> Yes Parsley was known and grown, more like the flat
> leafed than the curley.
> No There was no sugar ...it was first imported into
> this part of Europe during the reign of Henry 2nd
> 1154-1189. This is after the true Saxon era which
> ended in 1066.

So, no sugar for my First Crusades Norman persona???
Holy Mackrel!  And here I thought I was doing good by
using real sugar instead of Equal....

I knew parsley had been in use for a long, long
time...but hops?  In England?  I'm not at my desk, but
I could have sworn that hops weren't commonly used in
England until the early 1400's.

> And the third thing is my meat is not always
> bad.....
> Between what we eat fresh after the slaughter and
> the salting and drying and smoking
> the meat stays relatively fresh for use.
> The "all meat was bad is a modern falasey"
> Vara

I think I may have misread this passage, mistaking the
author's use of 'old meat' for 'bad meat', which we
certainly hear enough about.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood,
For they are strong and angry jealous ones.
Or lay upon my altar now your love
I feel my time is short...there are armies moving close
Be Quick My Love.