[Sca-cooks] parsley and sugar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 6 21:48:38 PDT 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor said:
> --- Hrolf Douglasson <Hrolf at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > No There was no sugar ...it was first imported into
> > this part of Europe during the reign of Henry 2nd
> > 1154-1189. This is after the true Saxon era which
> > ended in 1066.
>
> So, no sugar for my First Crusades Norman persona???
> Holy Mackrel!  And here I thought I was doing good by
> using real sugar instead of Equal....

Oops. I read Hrolf's comment, even filed it for the Florilegium,
and that didn't occur to me either. I knew it was unlikely to
be used except in sparingly, 'spice-like' quantities, but it
didn't occur to me that it might not be there *at all*.

Stefan considers this year to be 1150, although not in those
terms.

> I knew parsley had been in use for a long, long
> time...but hops?  In England?  I'm not at my desk, but
> I could have sworn that hops weren't commonly used in
> England until the early 1400's.

This may key on whether you are saying 'at all' or 'not commonly
used'.