[Sca-cooks] semmel?

Mon May 7 04:13:37 PDT 2001

Simnel is specifically controlled under the Assize of Bread and Beer (13th
Century) which is why I think it may represent an enriched loaf which
evolved into a cake.

During Elizabeth's reign, bakers were prohibited from baking simnel  except
for a couple holy days (one being Easter) and for funerals, because the
proper weight of the simnel could not be assured (it was probably marzipan
filled at this point).

There is a 17th Century recipe available.

I'll post the quotes legal prohibitions when I can get to the files they're
in.

Bear