[Sca-cooks] semmel?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 6 21:53:29 PDT 2001

Vara said:
> Could this one possible be Simnel cake.....an almond based cake traditionally made at Easter.
> I only wonder because the words are so similar and cake has been mentioned.
> it was made from the middle ages 1500 onwards as a gift for Mother when the
> serving girls went home to visit just after Easter.

Interesting, even if it doesn't affect the original topic.

More info on this Simnel cake, please. Both on this tradition of the
serving girls going home at this time and this Simnel cake itself.

Do you happen to have a recipe for this cake? Either original or
redacted? (Typically this list, and the SCA, uses the term 'redacted'
to mean converting an original recipe into a recipe in modern form
givming amounts and perhaps more specific directions.)

Thanks,
  Stefan

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net