[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - Creating a period garden

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon May 7 06:29:35 PDT 2001

> I also hadn't realized that some of these came in so many varieties.
> The Basil, for instance. I did try to pick varieties that I thought
> might be closer to period. Thus the English and Peppermint instead
> of orange mint or chocolate mint. I hope all of these are useable
> in food and that they aren't just ornamentals.

All of the things you picked are food plants. With mint, it's hard to tell what is or is
not period unless it's labelled as a hybrid. I _think_ I may have stumbled a reference
that makes it sound as if 'orange bergamot mint', aka 'cologne mint' is period, but now I
can't find it again. Holy Basil, however, is Indian not European, so you may want to pick
up some regular basil if you go back there.. (Too much basil in the garden is never
enough).

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net