[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - Creating a period garden

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 07:21:27 PDT 2001

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Does the 'var.' in the Latin name mean varietal? ie:
> a sub-species?

Looks like you have a good start for your herb garden,
Stefan.

The 'var.' (sometimes simply 'v.') does mean
'variety'.  This indicates it is a cultivar (or
cultivated variety).  In the case of your Basil, the
'Lockwood de Forest' is the 'variety' of Basil you
have purchased.  In some cases, nurseries will
indicate a hybridized variety by using an 'x' instead
of a 'v', though I have seen a bit of variation on
this theme.  Although, if you are purchasing annual
herb seeds, then hybrids are not very common (they
have a tendency to not 'come true' from seeds, and are
usually propogated vegetatively.)

Anyway, good luck with your herbs!

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood,
For they are strong and angry jealous ones.
Or lay upon my altar now your love
I feel my time is short...there are armies moving close
Be Quick My Love.