[Sca-cooks] No Sugar in 10th Century??

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 10:46:56 PDT 2001

--- Jenne Heise <jenne at mail.browser.net> wrote:
> *blink* why would they require less spicing, when
> they have more flavor of their own? If
> you wanted to taste the spices as well as the flavor
> of the meat, wouldn't you have to
> use more spices when combining them with something
> with more flavor of its own?
>
> I thought the general concensus was that meat from
> older animals had a stronger flavor
> that even today most people are not as fond of, and
> that people in the middle ages used
> spices as much as they did because they _liked_
> spicy dishes

That was pretty much my question.  Did they require
more spicing because they liked the spices, or
*didn't* like the flavor of older meats?  I don't
think I was involved in the discussion which lead to
the concensus mentioned above.  If this is a repeat,
then I'm sorry.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood,
For they are strong and angry jealous ones.
Or lay upon my altar now your love
I feel my time is short...there are armies moving close
Be Quick My Love.