[Sca-cooks] No Sugar in 10th Century??

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon May 7 10:00:13 PDT 2001

> The reason I took issue with the comment that spices
> were heavily used on old meats:  Older meats have,
> generally, developed more flavor than young meat, and
> it seems to me that they would require *less*
> spicing...unless, of course, they were using the
> spices to cover up the gamey or off-flavor, in which
> case, they would need more.

*blink* why would they require less spicing, when they have more flavor of their own? If
you wanted to taste the spices as well as the flavor of the meat, wouldn't you have to
use more spices when combining them with something with more flavor of its own?

I thought the general concensus was that meat from older animals had a stronger flavor
that even today most people are not as fond of, and that people in the middle ages used
spices as much as they did because they _liked_ spicy dishes, in which case they would
want to use enough spices so that they were no obscured.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net