[Sca-cooks] No Sugar in 10th Century??

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 09:49:46 PDT 2001

--- Jenne Heise <jenne at mail.browser.net> wrote:

> pgs. 170-171 of _Food, a Culinary History_ discusses
> the fact that the average age of
> cattle at slaughtering based on ox bones among
> kitchen remains (for the early middle
> ages) was between 3 and 5 years; and that  (here the
> author was discussing first
> sheep and goats, then pigs, so it's not clear
> whether pigs alone are meant or pigs, sheep
> and goats) 'According to archaelogical data, animals
> were never killed before their first
> year was out, and sometimes after two or more
> years."

The reason I took issue with the comment that spices
were heavily used on old meats:  Older meats have,
generally, developed more flavor than young meat, and
it seems to me that they would require *less*
spicing...unless, of course, they were using the
spices to cover up the gamey or off-flavor, in which
case, they would need more.  I'm not sure which the
original author was intending.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood,
For they are strong and angry jealous ones.
Or lay upon my altar now your love
I feel my time is short...there are armies moving close
Be Quick My Love.