[Sca-cooks] Re: easy to grow herbs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 8 23:19:43 PDT 2001

Ras commented:
> For those who have limited space and wish to grow herbs useful in period
> cookery, etc. which are not generally available year round or otherwise I
> would suggest the following: Hyssop, lamb's ears, lemon balm, lovage,
> gilliflower, nigella (love in a mist), marshmallow.

The herb garden where I bought my herbs also had the first four of those
listed above and also, I think, nigella.

However, I bought the ones I did because I thought I would get more use
of them. Growing my own, hopefully, will allow me to pinch off just a
little when I need it and not buy a plastic box of an herb for several
dollars, most of which will go unused.

Ras said in a latter message:
> IIRC, Stefan had somehow changed the subject to growing things in pots. While
> container gardening was wisespread throughout the middle ages, we have no
> indication (in fact, the opposite) that  container gardening was done in
> anything other than very large  containers.

Huh? I mentioned that I would, at first at least, be growing my herbs in
pots. I said nothing about this being period or not. I didn't really
care if it was. It will allow me to move my plants around some to find
the best spot for them. Much easier for me and the plants, than guessing
wrong and having to move them later. In addition, I'm concerned about
confining my mint plants to one location. I get the feeling I'm being
accused of doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net