[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Thu May 10 01:17:40 PDT 2001

micaylah <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca> [2001.04.30] wrote:
> > Consequently, if you mix cottage cheese and yoghurt,

> Balthazar do you really eat this??? Ewww.

About a year ago Nanna mentioned an Icelandic speciality, which was
"hræringur - skyr mixed with cold oatmeal". I've since tried this using
a substitute skyr made from what is sold as yogurt here (3% milkfat,
consistency like a milkshake, but with the full yogurt tartness[1]).
Superb, and even went down most of the others in the camp (I'm pretty
much an omnivore, and thus can't be used to evaluate what others will
or will not eat).

Perfect summer lunch in camp. make far too much oatmeal, and mix the
cold remains up with the freshly drained "skyr". Two cloth bags for the
making of yogurt cheese/"skyr" is part of the stuff I allways bring to
SCA camps.

I found that adding a few spoons of it (the "skyr") to hot barley
porridge was pretty good as well.

/UlfR

[1] The make a "mild" version as well. Totally meaningless. I *want* the
tart flavour to go with my müsli.

--
UlfR                                                 parlei-sc at algonet.se
The good people of Suburbia think this kind of thing leads to