[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 10 04:02:39 PDT 2001

UlfR wrote:

> micaylah <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca> [2001.04.30] wrote:
> > > Consequently, if you mix cottage cheese and yoghurt,
>
> > Balthazar do you really eat this??? Ewww.
>
> About a year ago Nanna mentioned an Icelandic speciality, which was
> "hræringur - skyr mixed with cold oatmeal". I've since tried this using
> a substitute skyr made from what is sold as yogurt here (3% milkfat,
> consistency like a milkshake, but with the full yogurt tartness[1]).
> Superb, and even went down most of the others in the camp (I'm pretty
> much an omnivore, and thus can't be used to evaluate what others will
> or will not eat).
>
> Perfect summer lunch in camp. make far too much oatmeal, and mix the
> cold remains up with the freshly drained "skyr". Two cloth bags for the
> making of yogurt cheese/"skyr" is part of the stuff I allways bring to
> SCA camps.
>
> I found that adding a few spoons of it (the "skyr") to hot barley
> porridge was pretty good as well.
>
> /UlfR
>
> [1] The make a "mild" version as well. Totally meaningless. I *want* the
> tart flavour to go with my müsli.

I must have missed this discussion when it came around previously on the
git-tar. This may sound silly, but would you consider this a cheese food
or a cereal food? Or is this one of those situations where you say in
response, "Yes," ?

I ask because you seem to be thinking of it in terms of a porridge with
added cheese, which is then eaten with a spoon. I think I might want to
try it as a soft cheese with an added grain element, lacking any
identifying criteria. I mention this because there are Scots cheeses,
IIRC, that perform similar arcana, not to mention foods like kishik in
the MidEast. [Although kishik is used as a highly-flavored thickener,
usually, sort of an instant roux, it's about equal parts fine powdered
bulgur and yogurt, dried in the sun and reground to a fine meal. Perhaps
a bit different from the other grain/cheese amalgams.]

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com