[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Thu May 10 04:59:07 PDT 2001

Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> [2001.05.10] wrote:
> > "hræringur - skyr mixed with cold oatmeal". I've since tried this using

> I must have missed this discussion when it came around previously on the
> git-tar. This may sound silly, but would you consider this a cheese food
> or a cereal food? Or is this one of those situations where you say in
> response, "Yes," ?

A "moistened" cereal food. Now that you mention it I have no data
(paging Nanna) as to the proportions in hræringur. I went for somewhere
between 30 and 50% cheese by volume.

> I ask because you seem to be thinking of it in terms of a porridge with
> added cheese, which is then eaten with a spoon.

It would be rather messy to eat with ones hand.

> I think I might want to
> try it as a soft cheese with an added grain element, lacking any
> identifying criteria.

Depending on the proportions used I would agree with you. Basically the
question boils down to which is the more dominant part. I could see it
served either way, but I have only tried it with the grain dominating.

> I mention this because there are Scots cheeses,
> IIRC, that perform similar arcana,

Names?

> not to mention foods like kishik in
> the MidEast. [Although kishik is used as a highly-flavored thickener,
> usually, sort of an instant roux, it's about equal parts fine powdered
> bulgur and yogurt, dried in the sun and reground to a fine meal. Perhaps
> a bit different from the other grain/cheese amalgams.]

I've seen suggestions, no doubt based on the vast corpus of early
(Scandianvian) iron age cooking manuscripts, that one could dry skyr and
use it in cooking.

/UlfR

--
UlfR                                                 parlei-sc at algonet.se
"how would you like it if somebody decided to eat you?"