[Sca-cooks] Garlic Question

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 11:37:03 PDT 2001

--- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:
> As I remember it, the cases of botulin poisoning
> which were reported
> occurred in jars of garlic in olive oil which had
> been opened and left
> sitting on the counter for hours on end,

That would make sense.  Botulism, as well as many
other pathogens, need a friendly temperature, as well
as an anaerobic environment in order to propogate.
The olive oil provides the environment, and leaving it
on the counter would provide the right temp.

I think an additional caution regarding this is in
order, so no one on the list gets the wrong
impression:  Most pathogens need to reach a certain
population level before they will cause any
ill-effects on humans.  This means, as long as the
product is not left out for an excessive period of
time, it should be okay.  **Clostridium botulinum,
however, only requires one (ONE) bacteria to KILL an
adult male.***  Play it safe... refrigerate that
garlic!!!

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Words are Trains for moving past what really has no name...