[Sca-cooks] Re: Why is saffron a mistake?

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 20:14:01 PDT 2001

>I'm sure that there are others on this list who can give you a more
>scholarly
>answer, but I suspect that the recipes calling for saffron are using it
>mostly
>as a coloring agent.  Most recipes don't call for that seasoning...at least
>the ones I've seen.  I do know that I've seen descriptions of blancmange
>that
>were dyed different colors as a sotoltie sort of thing...I even read a
>description (don't remember where) about a lord's arms being done in
>blancmange!
>
>Kiri
I think you're right there.  Blancmange is a widespread type of dish in
later-period (post c. 1300) collections; makes sense that non-white
variations would come up.  Kinda like clam chowder, no? :-)

Incidentally, de Nola has a blancmange variation called "manjar real" or
royal dish, made with shredded lamb... and colored with saffron.

Vicente