[Sca-cooks] Period gardening

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu May 10 14:53:55 PDT 2001

>  Someone had suggested hanging a wreath of
> marigold around the neck, which, I believe, was said
> to have been done in medieval Europe (??)  And, it
> just so happens I have a few marigolds which are about
> to go to seed, so I can deadhead them and whip them
> into a 'curtailment cocktail' for these nasty little
> worms.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Thanks
> for the tip.

*blink blink* As far as I knew, the marigold that has insecticidal
properties is Tagetes, the mexican marigold (which I adore and grow in my
garden), a relative of pyrethum. Tagetes were not imported to Europe until
late period at best. The 'period marigold' is Calendula, aka French
Marigold, and I wasn't aware of any insect-discouraging properties of
Calendula. Now, it's possible that I've completely missed references to
this. Did those who mentioned these insect-repelling wreaths give any
documentation?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net