[Sca-cooks] Period gardening

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu May 10 15:11:33 PDT 2001

Jenne Heise wrote:

> *blink blink* As far as I knew, the marigold that has insecticidal
> properties is Tagetes, the mexican marigold (which I adore and grow in my
> garden), a relative of pyrethum. Tagetes were not imported to Europe until
> late period at best. The 'period marigold' is Calendula, aka French
> Marigold, and I wasn't aware of any insect-discouraging properties of
> Calendula. Now, it's possible that I've completely missed references to
> this. Did those who mentioned these insect-repelling wreaths give any
> documentation?

I happen to know all too well that Slugs do not like
Calendula/Marigolds, and if you plant them around the garden thye will
have to seek other, less tasty eateries! Perhaps there has been some
confusion between the little crawly-eaty-beaties and the big slimy ones?

SLUG Queen Carmen Slugana
AKA 'Lainie