[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Thu May 10 21:58:23 PDT 2001

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir <nannar at isholf.is> [2001.05.11] wrote:
> Well, it is a leftover dish (usually) and I've never seen a recipe that had
> any set proportions. I'd probably use half of each, more or less - possibly
> a little more skyr than grain.

I can see why. With that proportion you would get the full creamy
effect, not a cold porridge with something in it.

> Come to think of it, I can't remember ever
> having seen an actual recipe - this is a dish that didn't need one - but the
> only description I have in an old cookbook says you can use oatmeal
> porridge, or barley, or rye, or rice (that one I've got to try, BTW) or

Rice... But a Swedish audience would immediately say "Ris a la Malta"
(cold boiled rice with whipped cream and sugar + vanilla sugar). All the
more reason to try it. For some reason people at work for some reason
thinkt hat it is unusal to bring mawmenny, "icelandic chicken" or cawdel
of samoun to lunch, even if someone the other day expressed surprise
that I was eating "normal" food for lunch.

> Iceland moss porridge.

Recipie? Iceland moss (Cetraria islandica)I can get hold of in
practically unlimited quantities by talking a walk in the woods. In
particular since I have been unable to get hold of the ingredients for
Blóðmör, more the pity. Or would pigs blood be useable in it?

> Formerly, turnip and rutabaga greens were sometimes preserved (fermented) in
> skyr, which was then added to porridge. A sort of hræringur with sauerkraut.

Sounds nice, Must try.

> Interesting that you tried adding skyr to hot porridge also. This is (or
> was) often done here, although the cold version was much more common.

It was sort of obvious. It was there, so I had to try.

> I was confused for a moment when I read "30 and 50% cheese by volume". Of
> course skyr is a cheese product of sorts but no Icelander would ever think
> of it as a cheese. I don't know why, it just isn't cheese, period, not even
> when it is used in cooking in a similar manner to cheese - which it was,
> quite a lot, in former times.

I agree with you. In swedish we would refer to it is "fresh cheese", but
cheese proper is something different. Now I must make a batch that is
really firm, and then try it in cooking.

> Not exactly dried but much drier than the skyr we have today. The skyr
> of my childhood (1960s) could be crumbled - it was cut in chunks and
> sold wrapped in paper. Today's skyr is soft and smooth and is sold in
> plastic beakers.

All depends on how it is used, I suppose. The references to sacks in the
sagas might indicate things about consistency, as does the draining
boards from some of the finds. Comment?

> (Oops - nu kommar jag ihåg att jag hadde sagt att jag ville skicka något
> torrkat fisk til deg. Det skall jag fixa redan i morgon - jag hadde komplett
> glömt det. Sorry.)

Ingen orsak. Den som väntar på något gott... Och tillfälle att småretas
med den gode romerske mästern skall man ju inte _heller_ förspilla.

/UlfR
 Here Adamantius, over here. Adamantiuuus. Goood laurel...

--
UlfR                                                 parlei-sc at algonet.se
Stop shouting, nobody here is blind.